- Titanium alloy eyeglass frame polishing
- Cellulose & acetate eyeglass frame smoothing and polishing
- Injection molding & machining eyeglass frame deburring
- Matte finishing plastic eyeglass frame for painting and coating
Inovatec MachineryYour Best 3D Printed Parts Surface Finishing Partner in China
With more than 20 years of experience in the surface finishing area, Inovatec knows your product material well and listen to your requirement carefully. We test the right equipment and media combination to achieve an optimal surface finishing effect for your product.
Suitable for medium scale eyeglass frame smoothing and deburring. For example, the daily production scale around 200 pcs per day.
Suitable for small scale eyeglass frame polishing. The daily production is within 5 pcs per day.
Suitable for fast speed eyeglass frame deburring and smoothing. Ideal for bigger production facilities up to 2000 pcs per day
Ideal for small scale plastic eyeglass frame polishing.
The big barrel tumbler machine is suitable for stainless steel eyeglass frame and titanium eyeglass frame polishing. The parts will not impact each other during the process.
The tilt rotary barrel machine is suitable for high value-added plastic eyeglass frame smoothing and polishing.
Eyeglass Frame Polishing with Different Production Processes and Materials
Eyeglass frame machined parts have burrs at the edges. You can remove the burrs using the vibratory finishing machine or centrifugal disc finishing machine.
Injection molding eyeglass frame has flashes and burrs at the edges. With the use of a centrifugal disc finishing machine, you can remove these burrs on your frames effectively.
3D printed plastic parts have rough surfaces. To improve their surface condition, you should use a centrifugal disc finishing machine.
Titanium is the most commonly used eyeglass frame material because of its lightweight characteristic. This type of eyeglass frames is usually polished in a rotary barrel machine and hang separately to prevent them from hitting each other.
PC materials are cost-effective materials used nowadays in making eyeglass frames. You can use a vibratory finishing machine or a centrifugal disc finishing machine to finish these eyeglass frames.
Acetate eyeglass frames are the most popular material used at the moment. You can use the vibratory finishing machine or centrifugal disc finishing machine to finish them.
Mass Finishing Media
Inovatec has a complete range of mass finishing media for eyeglass frame polishing. Plastic media is used for descaling and deburring. Porcelain media is for polishing and cleaning. Besides, wood pegs are used for dry polishing and burnishing.
- Tailor-made solution and process according to your parts’ requirement
- We offer free parts processing and send them back to you for checking
- We recommend the right machine according to your budget and capacity
- Cost-effective equipment and consumables
- Before & After
Our eyeglass frame polishing machine MOQ is 1 pcs.
We make a wooden box packaging to protect the machine during the shipment. The wooden box uses the fermentation process to pass the sea shipment global standards.
Usually, we do a 30% advance payment, and the balance payment should be paid before shipment. You can check the machine quality before shipment. We also take photos and a video in all the details for you to confirm.
Our production time is 20-25 days depending on the item and quantity you ordered. We will also do our best to shorten the time if you have an urgent order to ship.
The nearest ports from our factory are Shanghai, Ningbo, and Yiwu. We also ship to your warehouse in some other locations.
Eyeglass Frame Polishing – Definitive Guide
- 1. What Is Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
- 2. What Methods Can Be Used to Polish Eyeglass Frame?
- 3. What Types of Eyeglass Frame Materials Are There?
- 4. How Do I Polish a Titanium Alloy Eyeglass Frame?
- 5. What Is the Mechanism for Polishing Cellulose Acetate Eyeglass Frame?
- 6. How Is the Matte Finishing for Plastic Frame Achieved?
- 7. Which Equipment Is Best for Small Scale Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
- 8. What Mechanism Is Best Suited for Polishing Stainless Steel and Titanium Frame?
- 9. When Is a Tilt Rotary Barrel Machine Suitable for Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
- 10. Can I Achieve Fast Paced And Large Quantity Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
- 11. Can Over 2000 Pieces of Eyeglass Frames Be Polished Per Day?
- 12. Which Equipment Is Best Suited for Small Scale Plastic Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
- 13. Which Finishing Equipment Does the Best Job for Medium Scale Polishing?
- 14. Which Finishing Equipment Does the Best Finishing for 3D Printed Eyeglass Frame?
- 15. What Tumbling Media Is Utilized for Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
- 16. Do You Provide Clients with Consulting Services And Guidance on All Eyeglass Frame Polishing Machines?
1. What Is Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
Eyeglass frame polishing is a treatment process that involves the elimination of imperfections, grits, burrs and scratches off the surface of an optical frame to obtain a smooth, pristine, and brilliant surface.
This polishing process is achieved with the aid of a mass finishing machine, a tumbling media, and chemical compounds for mixing.
2. What Methods Can Be Used to Polish Eyeglass Frame?
Several polishing methods can be used for optical frames. Frame polishing could be achieved manually (hand polishing), semi-automatically, or with the aid of designated automatic equipment.
Hand Polishing: This occurs at the tail end of the polishing process. Hand polishing usually ensures that a perfect shining surface is obtained.
This process may require the use of wax, oils, special fabric, and other essentials.
Tumble Polishing: Just as natural abrasion occurs at local beaches where pebbles and sand rub against each other and both become smoother, a similar result is obtainable for frame polishing. Of course, not with the use of beach sand.
The tumble polishing process ensures the removal of scratches, marks, and dents imprinted on optical frames from the cutting and machining stages, which of course, occur before the polishing stage.
This action is achieved by placing the frames together with the tumbling media inside the tumble polishing machine. The polishing barrel induces a rotational motion which in turn rubs the media against the frames, thereby, creating friction and polishing simultaneously.
3. What Types of Eyeglass Frame Materials Are There?
In general, plastic and metals are the most common materials utilized for eyeglass frames. A more specific material description is provided below:
Cellulose Acetate: This is often regarded as the material that offers the best quality when it comes to optical frame manufacturing. Cellulose acetate is also referred to as zylonite. This material is obtained from plant-based plastic and is considered hypoallergenic.
When compared with earlier celluloid models which had quick deterioration factors and were readily flammable, frames obtained from cellulose acetate are quite the opposite. Acetate frames are excellently durable, lightweight, easy to pattern, paint, and mold in comparison to several other materials. The majority of the processes involved in the manufacturing of this type of frame is executed manually (by hand).
Cellulose Propionate: Eyeglass frames obtained from this material are lightweight, inexpensive, and with a relatively low cost of production. These optical frames are susceptible to rapid deformation and de-coloring when subjected to extreme weather conditions (hot or cold).
Mass production is easier, hence, its relative cheapness in comparison to metal alloys or cellulose acetate frames. Cellulose propionate can be injection-molded, hence, it finds more application in detailed designs.
Nylon: This is another popular material and it is obtained from gliamides and trogamid materials. Frames obtained from this material are temperature resistant and durable. Acetate propionate is mostly utilized in the production of sunglasses used by sportsmen.
This is because of its flexibility and easy-to-mold nature which enhances the formation of wraparound styles and several shapes that are not easily obtainable with other materials.
Titanium: Frames obtained from titanium are expensive, strong, and extremely durable. Titanium is a high tech metal used in advanced manufacturing processes such as the production of military-grade equipment, medical, and aerospace applications.
It is hypoallergenic, lightweight, strong, and boasts a high corrosion resistance. Due to the expensive nature of titanium, its alloy is often used for optical frames. Titanium alloy offers a lot of features as pure titanium but at a lower price.
Monel Alloy Steel: This is a nickel-based material that contains small amounts of silicon, manganese, iron, zinc, and 20-29% copper by composition. This alloy is stronger than steel, extremely resistant to thermal deformation, malleable, and corrosion-resistant.
Monel alloy steel is excellent for the production of sunglasses and regular glass frames, although, it is pricier than cellulose acetate.
Other popular frame materials include aluminum, cobalt, stainless steel, flexon, Optyl, Kevlar, and several unusual materials.
4. How Do I Polish a Titanium Alloy Eyeglass Frame?
Eyeglass frames obtained from titanium alloy are usually lightweight and because of this, they are polished using rotary barrel mass finishing equipment and of course, with the appropriate tumbling media. The frame and media are rubbed against each other in the barrel to achieve polishing facilitated by friction.
5. What Is the Mechanism for Polishing Cellulose Acetate Eyeglass Frame?
Cellulose acetate is currently one of the most utilized materials for the production of optical frames. Polishing and surface finishing can be achieved with the use of a centrifugal disc finishing machine or vibratory finishing equipment.
Cellulose eyeglass frame polishing could be achieved through friction in-between the media and the work-piece induced by either vibratory or centrifugal motion of the equipment.
6. How Is the Matte Finishing for Plastic Frame Achieved?
The matte finishing process is mostly similar to the sandblasting process, where frames are subjected to blasting using tiny particles. Instead of polishing the surface of plastic frames, they are scored.
This scoring effect creates a rough surface which gives the frame a matte look. The blasted frames are then sealed with special creams and natural oil to close out all openings. Next, the frames are subjected to drying and the matte finishing process is complete.
7. Which Equipment Is Best for Small Scale Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
The vibratory tumbler finds its application here. This equipment is best suited for small scale eyeglass frame polishing. Its daily production rate is about 4-5 pieces.
8. What Mechanism Is Best Suited for Polishing Stainless Steel and Titanium Frame?
The vibratory process is best suited for polishing stainless steel and titanium frames. This process uses a chemical compound and a non-abrasive media that ensure rapid surface polishing. The equipment used in this case is the big barrel tumbler machine. During the vibratory process, the work-piece remains intact.
9. When Is a Tilt Rotary Barrel Machine Suitable for Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
When producing high-grade plastic eyeglass frames that require quick barrel deburring, perfect polishing, and surface smoothing, a tilt rotary barrel machine is used.
10. Can I Achieve Fast Paced And Large Quantity Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
Yes, this is achievable using the Centrifugal Disc Finishing Machine.
11. Can Over 2000 Pieces of Eyeglass Frames Be Polished Per Day?
Yes, the centrifugal disc finishing machine is ideal for large scale polishing and can complete surface finishing for up to 2000 pieces on a daily basis.
12. Which Equipment Is Best Suited for Small Scale Plastic Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
The dry tumbling machine is suitable for small scale frame polishing and it is most ideal for plastic frames.
13. Which Finishing Equipment Does the Best Job for Medium Scale Polishing?
The vibratory finishing machine also does a good job when it comes to medium scale eyeglass frame polishing. It has a daily production scale of up to 200 pieces.
14. Which Finishing Equipment Does the Best Finishing for 3D Printed Eyeglass Frame?
3D printed frames often have a scored (rough) surface and can be improved significantly by using a Centrifugal Disc Finishing Machine.
15. What Tumbling Media Is Utilized for Eyeglass Frame Polishing?
The choice of tumbling media is dependent on the texture, size, strength, desired surface polishing, and the overall property of the material of the frames.
Plastic frames will no doubt require the application of soft media such as wood pegs to prevent material damage.
Tougher frame materials will require other kinds of media.
For hand polishing, wax, special creams and oils are examples of useful media.
16. Do You Provide Clients with Consulting Services And Guidance on All Eyeglass Frame Polishing Machines?
Yes, of course. We provide our esteemed clients with manuals and essential guidelines required to adequately operate our machines.
Should you require any clarification whatsoever, with respect to our eyeglass frame polishing machines or any of our other products, we’ll be glad to provide swift support.